When starting on a journey, a hiker packs necessary items into his or her backpack that will make for a successful trip.
There is the needed food supplies, whether it’s crunchy granola or health bars, this must be light but full of nutrition to sustain him or her. A big juicy hamburger might sound appetizing but will lead to early exhaustion and not survive the trip. It can also get grease all over the other contents. The hiker must also carry an adequate amount of water. Dehydration will put an early end to the most pleasant of adventures. And, it can’t be substituted for tasty, sugary sodas that will give a sugar high followed up with a sugar crash. Fainting in the middle of nowhere is never pleasant. There is also the need for bug repellant, a pick and rope if he or she is to do any climbing, sunblock, a sleeping bag if it’s a long trip, basic hygenic necessities, a compass and a good map to always have an idea where he or she is at.
Just like that hiker, a person on The Heart's Path needs certain ‘supplies’ to assist him or her on this journey. Here is a brief overview about those supplies and how to attain them for our personal journey on The Heart's Path.
1) Acceptance of A God/Goddess/Higher Power who created all things and in whom all things exist.
2) Acknowledgement of both our divine perfection and our imperfect flesh. We are perfect beings with imperfect abilities.
3) Daily practice of prayer, meditation, surrendering our will to our Higher Power, bringing our own perfection in alignment with the Divine.
4) Opening up to regular service to humanity and all of creation, being God/Goddess/Higher Power’s hands and feet and, therefore, His/Her expression of love for one another.
5) Knowledge of our personal purpose for being here, now for the world.
6) Constant development of Compassion, Integrity and Love for all living things through daily study of Sacred Texts and constant reflection of one’s own actions and attitudes.
7) Open up to fellowship so the journey is not a lone one. We are social beings and need community to learn from, share with and grow alongside.
8) With patience and sensitivity to others, shine your light in your words and deeds whenever possible.
These are basic tools, recommendations to strengthen your Heart's Path. They are culled from traditions and Spiritual Paths from around the world. I hope they can aide you along the way. I would be happy to be a 'guide' for you as you pursue your personal exciting and profound Heart's Path. Contact me directly if I can be of assistance.
Rev. Kelly Rivera Hart